I took Benjamin to work with me today because I don't have students on Wednesdays. He had a great time trying different things in his wheelchair at my school. I told him early this morning that we would work on walking this afternoon after I was done working and after we picked up Zoe. The sun was shining this afternoon and I invited Benjamin to come outside to "practice" his walking skills. He decided to set a small reward for himself before he began. It involved gummy worms (sorry to our dentist in advance). "Mom, if I walk 10 times around our porch can I have two gummy worms?" asked Benjamin. "Sure honey", I replied.
Well...I'm sure you can guess the rest of the story. Benjamin ended up doing two sets of 10 small laps on our back porch and then proceeded to try the stairs and a few other things. Keep in mind he is being very careful and taking it one step at a time. He can't wait to surprise his Dad when he comes home from work tonight. There is no stopping him now!
1. Gently tell him what we would work on this afternoon so he can mentally prepare.
2. Using gummy worms as a motivator.
3. Benjamin setting his personal goal and using his determination to complete it.
No comments:
Post a Comment