ben

ben

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Welcome!

Benjamin Wasserman is a very special boy. He is a master storyteller, a legendary dancer, and an aspiring artist who specializes in drawing three-headed dragons.

Benjamin also has a very special leg. Ben has a congenital short femur on his right side, which means that his right leg is considerably shorter than his left leg. The condition affects various parts of his leg--for example, his foot is missing a toe, his knee is missing the cruciate ligaments, and his hip socket is not fully formed. None of this slows Ben down, but it does mean that he will be having several surgeries throughout the years. His first surgery--a hip osteotomy--is scheduled to take place at Children's Hospital in Seattle on Tuesday, February 22nd.

We know that there are people from all over the world who care about Ben. One reason we're starting this blog is to help keep all of you updated on how he's doing. But this blog is also for Ben--we want him to share about his experiences and we hope that this will help him process everything that he's going through. Finally, we hope that this blog will help us remember all of the things that happen--good and bad--over the coming months. When Ben is nine or ten and going in for his next surgery, we want to be able to look back at this blog and take encouragement. We know that we're going to get through this... together.

Benjamin,
Ryan,
Christine,
and Zoe

9 comments:

  1. Dear Ben and family, what a wonderfully glorious idea having a blog and sharing your story. I will be praying for you as often as I can, maybe even while I am in the kitchen making a snack or lunch or even doing dishes. I remember when you had some special dietary needs and I learned so much just by the things you couldn't eat. I learned to be a better cook even, because I had no idea what a dairy free diet was. I am so glad you out grew that challenge. Now a new challenge for you, and I am so glad you are going to be sharing it with all of us. God bless you and your wonderful family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love the fact that there will be blog tracking this next crucial step In Benjamin's life. My small group at Cornwall has and will be praying for Benjamin, the surgeons, nursing staff and of course his family. Benjamin the Brave -- we are all wishing you well. Love Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful!
    Ben! Thank you so much for sharing this adventure with us. Justin and I will be praying for you and hopefully visiting you some too! I remember when I was gone for the summer, rafting and rock climbing, you drew me one of the coolest pictures I've ever gotten. I hope I can draw YOU some cool pictures, of Benjamin the brave, as you go on an adventure of your own. We love you Ben and family! You're such a joy to us at LSCC...and beyond!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are sending mom up your way to visit Ben! I will keep reading your blog and sending prayers and love your way.
    Cousin Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck, Ben. You are a very special boy. Your family loves you a lot. - Kris McDaniel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ryan and Family,

    Ben the Brave is definitely in my thoughts and prayers as he goes in for surgery. Please keep everyone posted on his progress with his new and improved hip...

    -Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ben,

    You have absolutely no reason to know who I am, but I remember what a very sweet newborn you were. My family will be praying for you all the way in England!

    Cheers,
    Starr, Jason, Cami, Graham, Rosie, & #4.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you guys created this! What a wonderful idea! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ben-Jammin' is da man! Such a delightfully sharp, inspiring & energetic young man who brings joy to so many. Not to mention is also a top-notch interpretive dancer like no other!

    Luv to you all plus thots & prayers 2u BW...look 4ward to signing that cast!

    God Bless!
    Travis

    ReplyDelete